NZ Kākā (Nestor meridionalis) discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NZ Kākā (Nestor meridionalis) discussion

This is an area where people working with NZ Kaka, either in captivity or through translocation conservation programmes, can come together and share information.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Male Breaking eggs in nestbox

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Male Breaking eggs in nestbox Empty
PostSubject: Male Breaking eggs in nestbox   Male Breaking eggs in nestbox EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 1:51 pm

I received the follow question from one of the holders yesterday and thought I would reach out to the kaka community on the NI to see if they might be able to provide any insight or advice.

Question:

The male keeps getting into nest during laying period and breaking (possibly eating eggs) during the laying period.  Once female starts sitting the eggs are
fine.  But female is having to lay a lot of eggs before she starts sitting.  Any suggestions?  The eggs are gone by the time I get to work in the mornings, check
it first thing.

Some of the Responses

I recall using a dummy egg stuffed with mustard or something that is going to taste nasty to stop birds eating eggs.

Denise with DOC
What tastes bad to parrots??? They even like chilli.

Rosemary at DOC
We are discussing dummy eggs, and potential hollow eggs with something fowl tasting inside.
Also have to consider the diet.
Back to top Go down
https://kakachitchat.board-directory.net

Male Breaking eggs in nestbox
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NZ Kākā (Nestor meridionalis) discussion :: Kaka Chit Chat :: Captive issues-
Jump to: